Thursday, March 26, 2015

Where Inspiration Comes From

For just about any artist, whether they are writers, dancers, musicians or painters, inspiration is a pretty important necessity. It is definitely possible to create under 'the gun' without inspiration, but it is hard and often lacks feeling or the type of connection that causes others to connect with the creation. So, where does this elusive inspiration come from? (and it IS sometimes elusive.) I think for every individual the source is different.

For me, inspiration can be inner desire or passion, it can be interest or just a sudden impulse. What I do know is that regardless of where that inspiration begins, grows or occurs, I have to listen to it and enjoy it for what it is. It's one of the reasons my work can be so eclectic. Yesterday a horse, today an eye, last week an ocean shoreline, or dolphins playing in the sea. When writing, I can feel inspired by a romantic notion, idea or even anguish, or have a sarcastic cop character nudge my mind and insist on being heard.

Where does your inspiration come from?

Today I was 'seeing' my inspiration quite literally.


No comments:

Post a Comment